Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Notions and Apartment Bits

Though over the years, I had become accustomed to "unpacking" Christmas, I still longed for a live presence above the presents. When I was little, our family had real Christmas trees. I remember the picking and cutting process kind of vaguely, like a dream. I recall sleeping in the car and my tiny toes freezing while we walked up and down rows of pines. I recall it taking entirely too long for a 6-year old attention span. But the smell of the branches in our chilly front living room and the prick of the pine needles on my fingers as I hung ornaments- these are very vivid, and positive, memories. 


This year -for the first time ever- I have my own LIVE Christmas tree. Check it out! I cut it down with my own two hands and erected it in my living room with the assistance of a couple "old pros".


It was a quick process of elimination to find a Christmas tree once I discovered the discounted tree section. (Seriously, who WOULDN'T go for a 15 dollar red-trunk tree with a couple thinner branches?!) I am so grateful to live near my parents. I didn't realize the things that I was missing being 12 hours away from family.

The 'rents came back to my place with me and helped to set the tree up on my cute vintage stand (I found it on the side of the road several falls ago.) Then they sat their butts down and let me hang each and every ornament all on my own. My tree is already full with just ornaments I've collected up to age 28. What will happen if I ever have to share my tree? Geeze. 


My townhouse is sparkling for the holidays and it really feels like home. The only thing missing is some company! Here's a couple shots of some bits of my apartment. 

 
The craft room is still under construction, but it's about to get some serious usage in the next week. It seems I've left a few too many gifts to the last moment. Typical Huff.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...