Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spring Crafting Comes Naturally


Recently, the seasons have taken a jarring turn for the better. Oh I am ready for spring. I was sick most of last week with an icky flu-like ailment. When I finally felt better I was greeted with the above sky and a gorgeous spring day. I said, hello spring and pulled out some crafts I'd had in the dockets.



With some guidance from my friend and neighbor, Madison (a peppy elementary teacher and scarf maker for a little boutique in Peoria, IL), I tackled a painting I had been wanting to do for a big, bland, blank spot on a wall in my office. I've never been much of a painter, but I had fun thinking outside of the box and making a little bit of a mess in my parking space on a Sunday afternoon. I think the final product 
will really brighten up the space.


Afterwards Madison and I spent some time making scarves in her homey little craft room. She taught me a couple tricks of her trade and I ended up with a repurposed fishy sarong. We'll see whether I can pull it off or not, but I really do like the fabric a lot more now that the sea life scenery has been deconstructed.

So far, spring is just great. This evening after work I got together with 4 friends and neighbors to toss around a frisbee. It's pretty great that I like my coworkers so much that I want to hang out with them after a whole day of seeing them in the office. Madison made a comment about how it felt a little like college. She was totally right. 

With the sun glaring just right off my glasses, I was transported back in time. The sounds of the neighborhood kiddos playing on the swings were the voices of my teenage friends in the quad my freshman year at Kenyon College. It seems like so long ago. Sometimes I even forget about that year of my life, having transferred to Beloit after only one year at the Ohio College. I have a lot of history in this state, and it feels good to be living here again after all the places I've hopped around from. Nothing like Spring to remind you how great the journey can be.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you've found some joy and peace in your new stage of life.

    I visited a fun antique mall last weekend with a friend and thought of you the whole time. It's in a neat old brick building downtown and is 4 floors of all kinds of goodies. I found some beautiful old handkerchiefs and thought of your cute pillows. I wish I could sew...

    Someday I want to go back and see if the poinsettia kerchiefs are still there. It's not Christmas so I didn't really even think about them until I got home... they'd make a cute something-or-other!

    Love you and miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...